- Your film must be a minimum of 5 and maximum of 10 minutes
- This year we are working in the Reality genre. The title of your show will be "Through The Back Door"
Your film must adhere to one of the following reality formats:
- Celebrity profile – in this genre we get a glimpse into the lives and lifestyles of the rich and famous, examples include Forever Young (Vuzu), Blame It On Fame (Vuzu), MTV Cribs
- Self-Improvement – these shows cover a person or group of people improving their lives, examples include Worlds Strictest Parents, Supernanny, Made
- Make-Over – These shows transform a person, space, business or other entity by calling in experts to fix problems. This is usually a more superficial or visual change than the self-improvement category, examples are What Not To Wear, Kitchen Nightmares, Restyle My Style (SABC 2)
- Social Experiment – In this genre people with different values agreed to live by each other's social rules for a brief period of time and sometimes learn from the experience. Examples are Culture Swop, Wife Swop, Same Name
- Personality Profile – this genre shows interesting people (sometimes celebrities) going about their daily lives. Examples are A Day in The Life, Topshayela
- Scripted Reality – This genre will show a person or group of people who are put into certain situations or given a task and the result is filmed. The personality/ies of the subjects drive a lot of the action. Examples are Cream Cartel, The Kardashians, Jersey Shore
- Constructed Reality – In this genre a person or group of people are put in a stressful or difficult situation and the result is filmed. Examples are Intervention, Boiling Point
- You may write in any language, however languages other than English will require subtitles
You will receive the following to create your story:
- 3x days worth of Z7 camera, sound and basic lighting kit from Digitalfilm
- Access to R5000 worth of props and wardrobe from Ikhaya
- Use of the production facilities at the mentoring company for the duration of the pre-production and production periods along with mentorship from the appointed Producer
- Professional crew arranged by yourselves and the mentoring company
- 5 days in a FCP offline suite with a senior General Post editor
- A final mix session with Finetune audio
- A grade at The Bladeworks
What you will need to organize yourselves
Part of being a good filmmaker is the ability to network and get the right people on board. You will be allowed to include whoever you like in the way of actors and crew in your production, provided they are clearly credited in your paperwork and on the credits. You will need to organize locations, wardrobe, props, make-up, crew, actors and everything else that goes along with creating a production. The organizers will help if and where we can.
Podcast of the workshops
We will record and podcast pertinent sections of the workshops.
Sample Treatment and Proposal
We will upload the samples we use in the workshops.